The new home construction process is slightly different if you are your own contractor and have to hire subcontractors or if you hire a builder to do all the work for you. You are embarking on a journey that might not always be a smooth sail and encounter the unexpectedand unwanted but keeping your goals in mind, the vision of your dream home will make it all worth it in the end. In the meantime, it's all about planning and making choices.
New home construction process
Whether you become your own general contractor or hire one
- Set goals
- Set a budget
- Secure a loan
- Buy a lot or a piece of land
- Choose a design
- Choose a floor plan
New home construction process if you choose to build your own home
- Assemble your team of subcontractors
- Secure lines of credit with building supplies companies
- Obtain all the necessary permits prior to breaking grounds
- Contact your insurance company for a quote for Builders risks insurance
- Break grounds and build your foundations
- Build walls and roof
- Install electrical and plumbing
- Install the essentials, insulation, HVAC, ceilings, paneling, boards, cabinets, flooring, appliances…
New home construction process if you choose to hire a builder
- Interview several builders, collect information on them, check their reputation with the BBB, ask former clients, then request an estimate.
- Let him take care of everything, knowing that he will get the job done and resolve problems on your behalf
- Schedule regular meeting for updates and decision making
The new home construction process is long, arduous, exhausting but exciting. You may think that you would save a little bit of money by being your own general contractor but there are many instances where hiring a builder, although an added expense, can save you expenses in the end. They have the ability to negotiate with suppliers and subcontractors, they are skilled in construction but also visualization. The lay of the land can present challenges that non-professionals would miss, delaying the project, making it more complicated and expensive than it should be. There will still be plenty for you to do when your dream home is up.
As a full-service construction and remodeling company in San Diego, Collom Construction Inc. possesses the resources necessary for a successful project. We deliver products of quality craftsmanship and work with you to meet your needs and respect your budget.
Give them a call today to set up an appointment for a free quote.