You have worked very hard all your life in order to buy and maintain your home because you always envisioned staying there as long as possible and with time, the question of aging in place is popping up. Now that you are growing a little older, you are getting more and more aware of the challenges that could come with your golden years. There are a few improvements you can make to keep your home a safe environment where you can enjoy many more years.
What is aging in place?
Aging in place is the assurance for seniors that they can live in the residence of their choice, for as long as they want to and can afford to. Quality of life is the keyword when it comes to aging in place and it takes planning. If at all possible preparing ahead will ensure your ability to live in the place of your choice for as long as you wish. The planning includes having everything in place and under control about your finances, your health and your needs …
The 3 main focus are:
- Your health: as we age, many things change, our vision, hearing, mobility etc ...
- Your environment: in order to ensure your safety, your home needs to be ready for the above mentioned changes.
- Your finances: careful planning will allow you to take care of all of the above.
Aging in place: using the principles of Universal Design
When building your home or remodeling your home, if you make the decision that it will be where you decide to grow old, the principles of Universal Design will give you all the flexibility and versatility you need now and will need then. The home built or remodeled following the concept will be safe, accessible for all people with disabilities, special needs or simply aging with the difficulties it can pose.
Aging in place: around the house
Adapting your home for the prospect of aging in place requires to pay attention to details, however mundane they appear. Many aspects of a house get overlooked when outfitting it for senior living.
- The entrance: avoid steps, widen the walkway, add ramps etc… Install sensors lights.
- The living space: replace heavy doors with light ones, unclutter and minimize furniture; make sure there is enough lighting.
- The kitchen: remove or lower everything too high to reach, create space to seat at the counter and the sink.
- The bathroom: walk-in showers or bathtubs are a must. Add grab bars at all strategic locations.
- The bedroom: avoid all tripping hazard and make sure the phone is close enough to the bed to make emergency calls.
This is just a short list of the adjustments to make in order to enjoy your home as long as possible. Some small ones can be done easily as you go but others have to be made in advance and only by professionals.
Once you have assessed and addressed your needs and future needs such as improving accessibility to the home, making the kitchen, bathroom and other rooms safe and easy to move about, you will be set for aging in place and not worry about moving out.
As a full-service construction and remodeling company in San Diego, Collom Construction Inc. possesses the resources necessary for a successful project. We deliver products of quality craftsmanship and work with you to meet your needs and respect your budget.
Give them a call today to set up an appointment for a free quote.